My Man Rides Again: Sort Of

 https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2021/september-web-only/robert-e-lee-statue-confederacy-good-riddance.html

Russell Moore is "my man," I often say. I read him whenever I get a chance. He had an essay yesterday on CT, where he is directing the "public theology" project (I haven't figured that one out yet). 

I'm not quite sure about this one.  Maybe it's a Kentucky thing, but did he really need to invoke Wendell Berry to explain why Lee's statue should come down in Richmond? 

It led me to think about, well, thinking, and conscience. Where does our conscience come from? Conscience is a "guiding light" but it's an awfully dim one, often. We have another light, Christ. We also have a "light unto our feet and a lamp unto our path." Those are much brighter and subsume the light of conscience. 

So where would those lights shine our thinking and paths about confederate statues? Or really, our thinking about them as Christians? 

Moore's conclusions, however, are right, regardless of Berry. The community, the body, is more important than an historical symbol of a flawed man who succumbed to competing priorities and chose to keep humans enslaved in the process, even if to him it was a by-product.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?