Contrast and Reality: Our Great Hypocrisy

Yesterday in the morning church service, a young couple who are returning to the mission field in a part of Indonesia were prayed over and blessed. We learned about their work with medical clinics and other outreaches to start small groups that turn into churches. They have two spunky little girls; the wife was a cheerleader in a public high school, so that gives us hope for cheerleaders! I pray for them regularly and to me they represent the best and brightest we have in the church today. 

Every morning we meet for worship, we meditate, or at least are reminded, of the cross-death of Christ, the extreme sacrifice, "for the joy that was set before him" that he endured, "despising the shame..."  

If we know anything about church history, we know that the body of Christ has suffered everything from the Colosseum to genocide over 2000 years. 

Therefore, you can understand my dismay, my deep anguish and anger, yesterday when someone in my life group said that there was a rift in the church over wearing masks. Apparently, those who wear them judge those who do, and those who do wear them judge those who don't. 

Granted, this was one person's "report." But I don't doubt it. 

Have we come to this? We can't wear a piece of cloth on our faces to protect both ourselves and our fellow Christians in a crowded building for an hour? When Jesus died for us, when saints have been speared, beheaded, tortured, immolated, jailed, drowned, and exiled? 

And we sing, "Where He leads me, I will follow?" Apparently the only place He leads us is to Cracker Barrel after the morning service. 

Flu season is coming, and I've gotten flu twice despite a shot. You better believe I'm wearing a mask, and not because of COVID only. And there are those who are immunocompromised, going through treatments, or have other conditions. 

God help us. 

Of course, the low numbers of church attendance tell us that the supposed 30% of evangelicals in this country is an inflated number.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?