Deficiencies in Doctrines

Another spoiler about an upcoming rant/critique, but it ends more upbeat, I think. Blog note: Yesterday I got 146 views, and typically I get 30 or so. This is always such a mystery to me. This one may make people mad. I think in the end I agree with James, "Be not many teachers," or, "do not take the public platform of teaching the Word lightly, do not desire it for itself."

Back in the late summer two high-profile Christians affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention publicly left it. They both happened to have the last name of Moore and their reasons were similar but different.

Beth Moore, known to most women in evangelical circles, loved by some, envied by others, and disdained by some others, left because of the failure of the SBC, in her view, to deal with sexual abuse allegations against pastoral staff members, and because of basic anti-women attitudes, especially in regard to church leadership.

Russell Moore, whom I greatly respect, left because of the SBC’s connection with Trump, basically. He had received a lot of criticism and censure for speaking out about Trump and the Convention's allegiance to him (in his view; I saw those on the other side, but Dr. Moore certainly has a bigger view than I).

I will leave it to the readers to decide if their leaving was brave, too fast, self-serving, right, wrong, or something to shrug your shoulders at and move on. It was their choice and they had their reasons. Time will tell, I suppose. As a member of an SBC church that 1. Does not in any way publicly support Trumpism, 2. Is careful about preventing sexual abuse and does practice church discipline, and 3. Could do better in regard to reaching out to racial communities but does try and is known for its mission and community work—I have trouble being completely empathetic with their choices, especially when they had benefited so much from their affiliation. (I will refrain from being snarky here, but the average church member derives little if any financial benefit from their church membership.)

And this is not to say there are no problems in the SBC. Not at all. Every church and group should be open to the conviction of the Holy Spirit (but not WOKE Twitter).

Photos have recently circulated of Beth Moore in her Anglican church robe participating in an Advent. I have friends who have joined Anglican churches but such a move mystifies me for former Baptists. (John Bunyan, anyone? Pedo-baptism and what it means? Sacraments?) I read lots of Anglicans and they are great scholars and their services are more visually appealing, that’s for sure. But it puzzles me how someone who was so embraced by Baptists for her "Bible teaching" could easily change to a denomination with such different doctrinal stands and practices. (I’m not talking here about ordination of women, either; that’s another matter.)

I can’t help but wonder about the doctrinal depth of Beth Moore’s “teaching” all those years. I heard plenty of it; it was more devotional than doctrinal, more emotional than educational. Not that she wasn’t and isn’t a gifted and motivating speaker. I just don't remember her ever really exploring anything that approached a systematical theology or even a description of her hermeneutical principles. Of course, doctrinal deficiency is not the case for Dr. Moore, a seminary professor. I hope he decides to return to the Convention and make his peace with it. Beth, I don’t think so. Beth, by the way, had an undergrad in political science and no seminary degree. 

Recently I listened to the CT podcast on Mark Driscoll and the Mars Hill Church, and I can’t call it anything but a tragic story. But one thing hit me; Driscoll did not attend seminary and did not even have a Biblical undergraduate education. Same with Josh Harris, the "I didn't date or something like that" guy, who isn’t even a believer now. I think there’s something important in a seminary education and the focus and stability it gives a future pastor.That of course comes from a person with three graduate degrees, so I recognize my bias.

People are free to change their minds; we have to be more loyal to Christ than a denomination. Growth and change is part of life; no, it is life. But a denomination, as far as its history, doctrines, and polity, is an expression of the vast kingdom of God, Christ’s bride, and should not be shucked off easily. I don't believe either of the Moores did; I listen to and read Dr. Moore frequently and know it was painful for him. By their fruits you shall know them, and time will tell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?