Worship: Don't Get Replaced

 


We had a relatively small service this morning; no choir, but still wonderful music. Stephen Humpries, a hammered dulcimer player, gave us “Blessed Assurance.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdbAMD6cIbw

Our interim pastor taught Nehemiah 8, reminding us Nehemiah is not about how to do “leadership.” It is about creating a community of faith. And one of the worship leaders made an excellent point: 

“Luke 19 says that if we do not praise God, the rocks and trees will cry out. I don’t want a rock or tree to replace me in worshiping God.”

And I almost missed it! I woke up at 9:20 (having trouble sleeping) and finally got my b--- out of bed, showered and washed my hair, gulped coffee, and left the house by 10.

Why was I even tempted not to join the people of God for worship? To see my friends? To stay in my pajamas?

The Internet memes have given us the term “first world problems.” I think Christians might be the biggest purveyors of “first world problems.” Choosing not, on a regular basis, to join a community of faith because of, well, something other than real illness must be the ultimate first world problem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?