Morning Thought on Purpose and Meaning

The Creator knows His Creation. 

He is not Dr. Frankenstein, despite how we act.

I have been reading a lot about student success. It begins to get repetitive, and it needs deconstructing. There is a lot of discussion about purpose, but it's confined to purpose in work, finding meaning in work. Perhaps it's because public higher education has by its nature abdicated any responsibility related to discussing higher purpose, deeper purpose, existential questions, world view, etc. 

How can we really discuss student success without giving space to those questions, those vital areas?

I agree with the Frederick Beuchner quote about our purpose is where our deep longing (passion, joy, skill, talent) meets the world's great need. I agree more with the Westminster catechism: Our purpose is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. Our purpose is not to find joy in being a cog in an organizational machine, especially as a woman, which seems where feminism has landed us. 

Now that I am at the top of the academic food chain (senior tenured full professor) I am less worried about broaching, nay, addressing directly these questions with my students. I think some of them are uncomfortable; I think some of them appreciate it. 

We cannot find our purpose without deference to the Creator. This is the danger of purely materialistic evolutionary theory as a world view: there can be no purpose to life accept continuing to live and perhaps having offspring. (I give space for those who believe God used evolution, although I find that somewhat problematic in parts.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?