Dear Evan Hansen

I recommend.  It's not perfect (a ridiculous standard; would we know perfect if we saw it?), but the songs will wear you out emotionally. Yes, the main character is easy to dislike for all his lies, and I don't think having social anxiety disorder excuses that. And it's preachy sometimes. But it really develops mental health themes well. 

Julianne Moore's song will stop your heart. "Requiem" brought up painful memories from a half century ago. And this line is mine: 

"The parts we can’t tell we carry them well but that doesn’t mean they’re not heavy."

It doesn't make sense here, but in context it does. 

Addendum May 21. I do have to add that some of the aspects mental illness have to be interrogated. Evan says more than once that he is broken. He feels that way; I would argue he isn't (see past blog post). 

And while we are encouraged to have compassion on those who deal with mental illness themselves, I would recommend the same level of compassion be given to those who deal with it in close family members. This is a misunderstood subject and people can say inappropriate things. "Why do you deal with it?" "Why don't you get him/her committed?" "I couldn't deal with that."  None of those help much. If it's a sibling, we don't have a choice; the system as it is makes "commitment" downright impossible; and "I couldn't deal with it" is not a (even backhanded) compliment.   It's a "I don't get you" comment. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?