The Heart Problems of Youth

 Fascinating article on the aftereffects of the pandemic (well, the lockdowns) on children's health. Devastating. https://morning.thedispatch.com/p/the-morning-dispatch-the-kids-arent?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email 

I am teaching a first year experience course with the theme of the 8 dimensions of wellness. Today I asked, if you would put one in the middle as the one that leads to all the others and they are dependent on, which would it be? 

Over half said emotional wellness. I think that says a huge amount about our young people today. I asked why. "When I feel sad, I don't want to do any of those other things," was the answer, more or less.  This breaks my heart, because: They feel sad (why?), it controls them, or they let it, and because they don't understand what emotion is and where it comes from.  They are too focused on their feelings and comfort. How can a society sustain itself this way?

I also taught about worldview today for the first time. In this secular college, it's gravely missing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?