Reality Check #4

My college is enacting a major project to improve services and success for first-year students. 

I have about 120, maybe more (enrollment fluid) first-year students in my speech class and my first-year seminar courses. 

Yesterday some of the speech students gave their first major speeches. They were interesting and heartfelt. I applauded them. They did good. 

Most of my seminar students are on track. But about fifteen of them have done---nothing--in four weeks. Despite my cajoling, my explaining, my extending deadlines. 

Student success is not ultimately the professor's job. These students are refusing to engage, despite the opportunities and the resources. Perhaps they made a decision to go to college that they are not ready for (most likely, although I am not supposed to say that). Next week is read the riot act week, and as a mentor to the other professors teaching the class, I will encourage the same. 

My point is that we cannot really lose sleep over other person's choices. We can pray for them, encourage, and show consequences. That is all. We cannot rescue them from consequences. We can try, but eventually we cannot.

Which leads me to post this satirical(?) article, including myself as someone who has lived some of these laws.  

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-five-universal-laws-of-human-stupidity?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?