Repentance: A truncated explanation

October 31 is Reformation Day.  Martin Luther’s first thesis of 95:  "When our Lord and Master Jesus Christ said “repent,” (Matthew 4:17), he willed the entire life of the believer to be one of repentance."

I like to think of repentance as when you make a wrong turn with your GPS.  Rerouting or recalibration.  In a way it’s a course correction, but more to it than taking a U turn in your car.  

Consider repentance as having four parts/stages.

1.  Acknowledge – mind. The first stage is confession – “admit the truth” (therefore “we confess him before men) or “to say the same” as God does about your attitude or behavior  

            I John 1:9. Confession has a promise.  Proverbs 28:13.  James 5:16

            Confession means recognizing sin – ask to be aware of it.

Jonathan Edwards, Resolution 68:  To confess honesty to myself all that I find in myself whether weakness or sin. And if it is something that concerns my spiritual health, I will also confess the whole case to God, and implore for all the needed help.”                                          James points out there are private and public aspects of confession. 

2.  Sorrow – emotion. II Corinthians 7:9-10. Knowing that you have sinned should affect your emotion, but it’s not the central aspect of repentance. Confession brings balance. 

Our emotions can lie to us about our spiritual state. 

“I can’t forgive myself” – what does that mean? It is a lack of faith in God's grace, but there are other  psychological reasons.

3.  Choice – will – making a decision to change the attitude and behavior.

A goal without a plan is just a dream.  Repentance without a plan to address the pattern of sin may not lead to the next step.

4.  Change in behavior – body. The goal Often to avoid it happening again. Psalm 119:57-60.

The best case study I can provide is that of my mouth!

Case study:  Comparing ourselves with  others. 

"Comparing is despairing."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?