New Idea for Birthday Card

 We college teachers keep being told, "your students brains aren't fully developed until they are 25." Specifically, their frontal lobe and therefore executive function. 

I guess that's why all those young men died at Normandy. Purely because their brains weren't developed enough to keep from getting on the boats and storming the shore. 

OKAY, I get it, neuroplasticity and brain development and all that. But lots of people have made smart decisions before 25, and lots of people after 25 make dumb decisions. It's more a matter of "cultural capital," as it's called now, or traditionally, "home training." I just don't see a switch turning on at the 25th birthday that says, "Now your executive function functions executively." I think the right language is that it can take until 25 for it to be developed.

I think it gives another reason for an excuse for immaturity, like COVID.

Anyway, I have an idea for a Hallmark card:  "HAPPY 25TH BIRTHDAY! YOU NOW HAVE A MATURE FRONTAL LOBE."  I can see lots of clever photos and quips for those.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?