A bit of honesty: Deconstruction

 They are calling it deconstruction. Apparently that means different things to different former or current “evangelicals.”

First, why can’t we just be Christians or Christ followers? Why that “brand”? (or franchise as Garrison Keilor called it.) 

Second, if we all have a different meaning for it, how can we discuss it?

I do recommend questioning. Recently I read of someone who wanted to teach a “Sunday School class for Doubters.” I wish Christians would be honest about their doubts. We aren’t because we are too lazy to study and read and dig into the reasons behind our doubts—which are often ignorance (but not always, of course).

I do recommend dealing with the deep emotional pain that can happen in churches, even abuse. It’s real. Even if I don’t know it (or don’t recognize it), it is real and horrible and lifelong.  It also is, sometimes, exaggerated. Kids can be little snots to each other, it can hurt, but it doesn’t mean God has abandoned you in your darkest hour. Because he doesn’t and he hasn’t. And he won’t.

Deconstructing—what exactly is one deconstructing? If it is wrong ideas about God, great. If it is lack of love, wonderful. If it is misplaced expectations about what human behavior, probably helpful.

I think the big change for me is that now I don’t reflexively dismiss or judge people who talk about such things. I don’t act like I have never looked at the people sitting around me in church and wondered, “What is going through their heads? Do they really believe everything this man is saying? Are they reading anything that would inform them about this subject and the real issues of the faith? What if this is all just made up, somewhere, by someone? Do other Christians think this way, or am I a rebel, a doubter, not really one of Christ's?”  I don’t decide automatically people are whiny babies who just don’t want to go to church any more but are blaming their decision on some insensitive person who slighted them. Maybe they are tired, like I am. The Exhausted Majority, as I've heard us called. 

However, I have to wonder if a significant number of Christians today are not gullible and prone to conspiracy theories.  This behavior is not in line with historic Christianity, which is fact-based (historically) and level-headed. “Consider” is one of Paul’s words I like to use. Look at both sides, and for Pete’s sake, don’t overreact or react hastily. QAnon, vaccines, election denying, support for Ukraine, anything that comes out of Tucker Carlson’s mouth, etc. Consider every side like a wise and Holy-spirit-led person. Make a decision and then don't get defensive about it.  I got four shots, and I do wonder....but I don't regret it, and would probably do it again (I still got sick, though, but later than most).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?