Checking out CNN and scratching my head

I had decided to start balancing my new intake by reading CNN.com. In some ways I am not disappointed; there is a wider variety of stories, which was the main idea. 

However, yesterday I read this one and thought, "Seriously?"

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/11/us/he-gets-us-super-bowl-commercials-cec/index.html 

It's about the "He gets us" campaign and the Super Bowl. The campaign has been going on for up to a year so it's not new news. The article focuses on those who oppose it and argues (even though it's a news story and those aren't supposed to argue anything) that we should, well, just not watch them because, how dare they have a message about Jesus on TV during the Super Bowl?  

But this is one that gets me:  "While donors who support “He Gets Us” can choose to remain anonymous, Hobby Lobby co-founder David Green claims to be a big contributor to the campaign’s multi-million-dollar coffers. Hobby Lobby has famously been at the center of several legal controversies, including the support of anti-LGBTQ legislation and a successful years-long legal fight that eventually led to the Supreme Court allowing companies to deny medical coverage for contraception on the basis of religious beliefs."

And there is an "insert subheadline" (I know there is another word for it but I can't think of it):

The campaign has connections to anti-LGBT and anti-abortion laws.
 
So readers are supposed to be shocked that people who take the Bible literally as a guide for their lives would have a problem with abortion and do something about it? So this is news to them, since it's been the case for, oh, 2000 years?  Sheesh. 
 
I for one thinks it's a clever campaign and bold. I do not criticize anyone for making a viable witness. It's usually those who don't make a witness who do the most criticism. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?