Nature Red in Tooth and Claw Lives in my Backyard

I know my dog's barks now.  I know when Nala is barking at passers-by, for no particular reason. I know when Butter has found an animal that does not run away. He doesn't stop and it's different from his bark at strangers.

Sometimes he has barked like that at a dead rat or bird. He also does it at lizards or large bugs and when a turtle gets in the yard, and he tries to eat the turtle, who fortunately can protect itself. 

Such happened today, and I rescued it with my handy-dandy shovel (I'm not touching it!) and placed it outside the fence, hoping it would come out and find a safer home. I checked back later, and it had, so apparently no real damage was done by my dog, although it looked like he'd chewed a bit of the shell. It was a different turtle from the last time he pulled that stunt. 

I heard him at it again, and this time it was a snake. They were having a stand-off, and the snake, which I think is a garter snake but I'm not getting close enough to do any real categorization, was flicking his tongue at Butter. (It had a yellowish pattern)  I got Butter in the house and grabbed that handy shovel, but I think the snake went back to its hiding place under the shed. Butter has been digging around there for a while. That's a good thing because I really don't know if I could cut it in half with the shovel because that would mean getting right on top of it. 

I hate snakes. You have no idea how much. Now that I looked at images on the Internet and had one in the backyard, I'm going to have a bad dream about them.

This is not to mention that the other night something was in my attic and I will be paying a large amount to have it completely cleaned out and sealed. Actually, something is in my attic quite frequently--I got a cat out in December after the several days of 8 degrees. But a few nights ago it sounded like something trying to get in through the trap door and I slept in the family room. 

Finally, my neighbors had something large in their trees that was shaking nuts out of it and broke a branch in the effort. My thought is a bear; they are not unheard of in Northwest Georgia. 

God's creatures have been displaced, and we, like colonial settlers, act like we should banish and destroy them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?