Why are you still a Christian?

I listen to podcasts. A lot of them. And I host one.  (Please check out Dialogues with Creators--sorry but I have to advertise!)

This morning I was listening to the Good Faith Podcast with Curtis Chang and Russell Moore as the guest (who is often on it). Dr. Moore has a book out, so he's talking that up. (Hey, I've been there.)

At one point he said that people have asked him, with all the things "going wrong" in the evangelical world, "Why are you still a Christian?"

Wow. That is lodged in my brain. I am going to explore that in the next few installments here (as you notice, I've been on hiatus due to the vacation season--I've flow twice to opposites sides of the country) and the beginning of the academic year. 

I do recall hearing Dr. Moore over 15 years ago speak at our church (I go to a church that gets some incredible speakers, obviously). He said in the sermon, interesting, that every day we decide to follow Christ. This is different from the viewpoint of a lot of "Christian authorities," who would say the conversion experience is an act of God that is unchangeable, not open to our decision otherwise. Yet I think there are some Biblical arguments against that "you have no choice or agency whatsoever in your life in Christ" position. 

 So when I heard him say  that about the question, "Why are you still a Christian," I couldn't help tying it to that sermon many years ago, back when he was a professor at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and not an officer in the SBC and then someone who made the decision to leave due to politics and abuse issues.  

More coming!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?