Pets Mean a Lot

There is a commercial on a podcast I listen to about a program that helps domestic abuse shelters pay for clients to bring their pets. It is called Purple Leash.

 

Some might think that if a victim needs help, the dog or cat needs to be sacrificed for one’s safety. But that overlooks the place of the pet in the victim’s life. It might be the victim’s only friend, sad as that is. The abuser’s ability to keep the pet (assuming it will be cared for, which it might not) is another way the abuser has power over the victim.  I can see clearly why a person in that context might not be able to see their way clear to leave abuse if it means doing so without the pet.

 

I decided to leave my home and didn’t get to see my dog for many, many months. One time it worked out for her to spend the night with me. I let her sleep on the bed with me. I think she was happy. I was ecstatic to have her with me.

 

As time went on, she came to live with Butter and me over a year ago. She is very happy here with us. She gets walked regularly, and it is the highlight of her day.  No matter how cold it is, she gets at least a .5 mile stroll around the block. (The other dog gets more.)

 

So, I understand. Deeply.

 

Check out Sitting with Dogs on YouTube.

 

My dog ran off two days in a row.  He is exhausted now, and I am too from looking for him. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?