Teaching the Scriptures: Luke 24

I am teaching from Luke 24 tomorrow. Normally I have a detailed outline that I publish here. Tomorrow my outline is simple, not because the lesson is simple or because I didn't study, but because I prefer to let the straightforward narrative speak for itself with little interference from me. 

But I will provide this: 

Recommendation of this page for harmonizing the gospel accounts of the resurrection:  https://www.gotquestions.org/resurrection-accounts.html  

One must read Luke 24 and John 20 in tandem. The takeaways:

1. Tell the truth. Tell.  The.  Truth.  Christ is Risen. Russell Moore's latest podcast is with N.T. Wright, whose answer to the question, "How do you know it's true?" is " Christ is risen."

2. Believe the truth when a faithful witness tells you. Jesus provides Thomas with the same physical proof (in John 20) that He did to the others in Luke 24 ("eleven" referring to the group as a whole, not always an exact number, although they are sure to take Judas out of the mix). However, there is a sense of chiding Thomas--"you really should have believed your brethren in this matter. The rest of the world is going to have to believe your testimonies."

3.  The Holy Spirit looms large in this passage, even though He doesn't seem to be mentioned much.  "Behold, I send you the Promise of My Father upon you; but tarry in the city of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on high." (24:49)

4. There is a powerful line we must internalize, in 24:35: "He was known to them in the breaking of the bread.” It speaks of how Christ is revealed to us in the Lord's Supper (and I'm not speaking of trans- or consubstantiation, of course).  It speak to us of the power and necessity of eating together and hospitality. It speaks to us of the power of the presence of Jesus' physical resurrected body in this passage. But I think the second one is where we live. In the breaking of bread together we know Christ. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?