Fifth and Sixth Day of the Year

Three observations

We live in a world where "I identify as" is distinct from "I am." This means that we believe we have the power, intelligence, and perspective to make ourselves something than what we are. So, how far does that go? I can take lessons to become a pianist; of course, most of us would not say "I identify as a pianist" except as a joke if we can't play. Or does pianist imply a certain level of skill, enough, say, to make money? I was ruminating on the difference between "He is intelligent" and "He is an intelligent person." Is there a difference in meaning, however subtle? What is it? Or is it totally equal and congruent, except for being wordier?  

So the observation is about language. 

Second, the communal reading of the Bible this morning is Matthew 5. The hutzpah of Jesus. He heals multitudes--not a few--and then starts teaching without any explanation of why anyone should listen to them, and he claims to know the nature of the kingdom of God and its citizens. And the expectations of these citizens are not minimal. Back to my theme: Facing the reality of being a Christian believer and follower in 2024! 

All my life as a Christian the Beatitudes have been explained away as much as explained. "They really mean something else," or "They aren't for us in this dispensation or age." Or some such nonsense.  Not sure why Jesus bothered, then, if they weren't for all his people. Their starkness is just too much for 21st century Westerners, I guess.  

Third observation: Today is Epiphany, also known as Theophany and as Three Kings Day. Mi nieta is being born on Epiphany! She is making her appearance to the world on a day meaning appearance. It's appropriate as Three Kings Day is an important holy day in Hispanic communities. The children gather grass and put it under their beds for the camel, elephant, and horse of the three magi.  Pretty cool. 

My son said he didn't want her born on the anniversary of the "insurrection."  Well, as horrendous as that day was, and as much as those people should be held accountable, and as much as it clearly says, get Trump out of politics and leadership--that riot did not overthrow the American government, it was a very small group of people in reality, and it is clear that a group of political types are going to ride it to the nth degree, for all its worth. I think it was shocking to viewers on TV, and still gives me a chill. I think, no I know, that Trump is evil in getting together a crowd that wanted to murder the Vice President. If an insurrection means "nasty, riotous crowd with violent intent against a government authority" then I guess it fits. It didn't work, it was a limited crowd (2000 is claimed, which is .00000588 of the whole population), and not everyone was violent. Most were just stupid. 

Don't get me wrong--they deserve punishment. I just don't think it rose to the level of insurrection.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?