Fourth Day of the Year

 I somehow got to friends on Facebook with Douglas Groothuis, the apologetics and philosophy professor and writer (I think it's because a friend of mine taught on the same faculty with him). He wrote something about the lack of value in being entertained.  People responded, perhaps to be contentious, with the importance of entertainment. 

There's entertainment, and then there's entertainment. Or I should say, there is silliness that we waste our time on, and there are artistic endeavors that engage, inspire, amuse, and change us. 

To be serious as a Christian in 2024 is to find the latter and run from the former. Time is too short. 

I just watched, on Apple TV, the film Women Talking. Oh my word. Claire Foy broke my heart, as did several others of the women. I won't tell what it's about, other than it is based on something historically true and you can't help but be moved spiritually and emotionally. Yes, it's a lot of talking, and toward the end you want to say, "Just do it! Go!" but when they do, it's rewarding.

People talk about patriarchy in a flippant way (Barbie movie) and an overwrought way. A patriarchy where women are victims and that is seen as their role does exist and poisons everyone it touches. That has not been my experience in the church, but it has been that of some.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?