Being Real in 2024: Day 32, Helping the Needy

I am assigned to teach Acts 3 this week. The literature presents it as "The church meets needs." I don't think that is the theme. I think it is "The church breaks out of its previous boundaries into the wider world and does what the church is supposed to do--obey Christ."

I plan to pose some questions to the class, after showing this image:

A friend on Facebook posted it--one of those people who used to be a Republican and now fancies themselves progressive. This is b-----.  (I am not immune from salty language sometimes.) This is trying to make people feel false guilt for their political opinions about national sovereignty, for one; it's classic straw man. The water in line to vote makes no sense--bring your own water; the first one I do have some sympathy for because there are a lot of children who are ill-fed and there are lots of teachers who bring snacks for them. 

My questions: 

What is need? Who is in need?  How can someone be in need if they have cable TV and a smart phone?

Is helping those in need a commandment?

Whose responsibility is it to help?

            How do we help best?

            Can we help in the wrong way?

            What happens when we help?

 

Now, don't get mad: I really do believe the church has a massive responsibility to address responsibility. I am involved in that. But there are a lot of attempts out there to lay false guilt to get money from well-meaning people. We are to be as wise as serpents and harmless as doves.  We need a theology of generosity so that our resources help the most. 

 

One of the best programs is sponsoring a child through a legitimate organization. I recommend that as a start. Then getting involved in foster care system.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?