Frittata, the Perfect Dish

I am not a cook, and rarely write about food.  My latest novel is going to have food as a theme, though, so I am going to throw something in here about a very easy dish for summer or anytime, the frittata.

Basically, a frittata is a glorified omelet, but it's easier to make.  You can throw anything you want into it, let it cook 5-10 minutes in a skillet, and there it is, to be eaten with a salad, soup, vegetables, or alone.

Start with a potato.  Dice it up and fry it in olive oil in a pan that is at least 10 inches side and preferably nonstick.  Thrown in some onions, peppers, jalapenos, olives, etc. to saute with the potatoes.  When the potatoes, which should be small, are cooked enough that they are edible (soft), beat about 8 eggs very well and pour on top of what's in the pan.  You can throw in chopped chicken, shrimp, sausage, bacon, or ham (I wouldn't suggest beef).  Then top with whatever kind of cheese you like, feta, mozarella, colby.  The cheese should be grated or crumbled fine.  Cover it and let it cook for 5 to ten minutes, when the middle of the frittata is done (use the old knife comes out clean trick).  Flip it onto a plate and slice like a pizza.

I am putting this recipe here for a couple of reasons.  One, I haven't posted in a while and thought it was time.  Second, this is practical, and too often my blog is about me whining.  Third, to prove a point.  Yesterday our college's webmaster came in and said I had to put a disclaimer on my blog or take the link off the school's webpage.  At first I said I would take the links off, and then I changed my mind.  So I am putting something entirely innocuous here in case someone checks it to see if I am writing subversive stuff.  By the way, this was not the webmaster's fault, he was just the messenger; I am not criticizing him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?