Is this really a word?

 My husband had on one of those sports talk shows this evening (the one with the skinny white guy with a last name that probably got him called cow turd in school and with the chubby black guy who wears a hat).  The skinny white guy was talking about the Patriots or someone and said, "He is trying to build an integrous organization."

What?

"I am a pretty educated and well read person," I said.  "I have never heard that word."  So my husband looked it up on on Google, and this is what he found: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=integrous

I did some more looking up and learned that while it has appeared in the Oxford English Dictionary, which tracks usage historically, that was a long, long, long time ago (like centuries).  But . . . when he used it, I did know what he meant, so does that not make it a legitimate word?  Meaning was conveyed (or perhaps evoked) by it, even if we say "of integrity" instead of "integrous." (and my computer is putting a red line under it, so Apple doesn't recognize it either.)

I don't think it is going to catch on.  I noticed that the other sports talk guys on the panel were conspicuously not using it, probably thinking like I did that skinny white guy with the funny name just made it up and didn't want to embarrass him or themselves. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?